Thursday, August 23, 2007

New Tote Project

Thanks Everyone, for the very kind comments on my last post. You sure know how to make a stitcher feel good!

Ever hear of "PPD"? Not to make light of Post Partum Depression...but what I am referring to here is "Post Project Depression". I can't stand that void that comes when a major piece is finished, but I am not ready to embark on another one yet. So my personal cure for PPD is of course, The Tote Bag.
I have made zillions of them--I really should start an Etsy shop, just to clear them out of here--as a way not only to combat PPD, but also as a means to "refresh my palate"..or pallete...between big projects. It's a chance to not be so careful, to just have fun, and experiment.

This is a PPD Tote from about three and a half years ago....it was a blast to make; I was just going bananas with reweaving that silk ribbon. It's not at all practical for use, though...the ribbons would snag on everything...so I keep it in my sewing room with lots of loose fibers, yarns, etc. in it.

Here's a detail.....

And here is my pile of fabrics for the new tote, a cousin of the one above, I think. Those are hand-woven scraps from a weaver in San Francisco...I buy her scraps by the 1 gallon bag for $10 per bag. I've mixed in some velvets as I like the contrast in texture. Autumn is coming...

I will quilt this bag and not put much embroidery on it...but I do have this enticing and too large stash of sequins that could really be fun to spark this up with.
I mean, why not? ;-)

10 comments :

Courtney Short said...

I love that bag - I too find it so much fun to just "freestyle" a purse or tote.. I usually do that in between my embroidery projects. Perhaps we can trade bags sometime!

Possibilities, Etc. said...

I cut up fabric for knitting tote bags - one of my quick projects to ward off PPD. Hadn't thought of dressing them up with "sparklers." I'm coming up on one of those times soon - but will probably just head for the clay store for making "mud pies." (another cure) I love the tote bag!!! Do post progress on the new one please.

Susan said...

Great idea for the bag. I love the fabrics for your new one, and why not sequins, indeed! This is the kind of thing I like to look at, but would probably never make myself. I don't like stitching bags. I've done one, love it, moving on. LOL!

Julia said...

Just getting over the flu and going through PPD as well...
I love making bags...so looks like i'll need to make a bag and get over this PPD!

Kate said...

Love the bag! You're creations are always inspiring. Is your woven fabric source one you can share?

Debra Dixon said...

I like the etsy idea--especially with the upcoming holidays approaching.

Deb Hardman said...

You know if you'd like to make that lovely bag more usful, you could cover it with a layer of tuelle, or oraganza, whatever looks nice, but allows you to see through to all the fun textures!

Rissa said...

I can see why you like to do projects like this in between the big ones! I am just so impressed that you are so productive with the large scale projects!!!

Unknown said...

Naoimi loves her tote like that one with the beaver fur along the top. It's very cool. Seester

Granny Fran said...

The woven silk ribbons are scrumptious! Those scraps of hand woven fabrics are a great find.