Wednesday, January 23, 2008

New Issue of CQMagOnline Now "Live"!

Rissa Peace Root has done a terrific job as the new editor of CQMagOnline, pulling together a fabulous and informative issue for the first quarter of 2008.
Rissa is an accomplished needlewoman and her range is wider than even our beloved crazy quilting affords...do have a visit to her blog if you haven't before. She is a spinner, knitter, embroiderer...not to mention a passionate dog lover and belly dancer!

***********************************************

I have pulled together four large 1 1/2 gallon ziplock bags, each filled with the supplies needed for a new project, ready to go into my suitcase for the week at Point Bonita. I don't know if I will start on each of the four, only get partway through one, or be diverted by something entirely different once I get there (like last year's cat competition.)

The first project is to embellish this block, 8" X 8" finished, which will join the work of some other stitchers for this year's hospital quilt. Last year our theme was purple hearts; you can view that quilt here; this year it's butterflies.


My next project is going to be very similar to this month's Take It Further challenge piece, except it will be a piece built around the letter "K"...for Kreinik!


And then there are Manjiree's tomatos, with which I have fallen totally in love. Manjiree has graciously allowed me to use her imagery in what as rapidly shaping up as my Tomato Quilt.
I found another painting of tomatoes by a wonderful artist in Northern Ireland (thank you, Google Images) with whom I have communicated. Julius Guzy has also graciously given me permission to print and use some of his images...you can view them here.
I am very excited at the prospect of combining the beautiful paintings by these two fine artists with the genre of crazy quilting. It feels experimental which is great.


...and then there is my Bad Girl Self who just really wants to come out and raise trouble.
This iron on stitching pattern is from Sublime Stitching.
I've used a bit of Tsukineko ink and also a lick of acrylic paint to color in the image a little bit. Next comes the outline stitching.
I have some wicked plans for this girl.....it will no doubt be what I work on first!

So that's all for now....I'll report back on February 4th....
Til then, happy stitching everyone!

14 comments :

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Will miss you - but looking forward to what you see and do there, as last year!! Have I mentioned that I also paint tomatoes? Don't have any lying around right now, tho' I love that new block you will embellish - great fabrics! (You know what I will be doing while you are gone.) I'm anxious to see it finished.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

P.S. Dena is going to love that "K"

atet said...

How weird is this -- I just finished thumbing through my Sublime Stitching book then I read your post. Love that reform school girl! The tomato painting also reminds me that I need to hang one I own somewhere. I have the giant asperagus hanging (no comments about imagry there -- it's cool), but need to find a home for the tomato.

Have a great time at your retreat, can't wait to see what you decide to work on!

Karen 's World said...

...wait a minute ... K can be for Karen also!

Debra Dixon said...

Nice variety of projects; enough to keep even the most wayward girl in check for a week! Have fun!

Gerry said...

Your pieced block is really pretty. Nice, soft, calming color arrangement.

The iron on is too funny. It sure brings back 'rebel days' memories. LOL.

indiaartist said...

Hi,
I just saw Julious's images. Lovely and I can imagine how cute these tomatoes will look in quilts. Looking forward to see the complete project.
Manjiree

Rian said...

Have a blast! Can't wait to see what you do with the tomatoes et al.

Unknown said...

we all know you ARE a tomatoe!!! love ya seester

Granny Fran said...

What fun and diverse projects you have going! Oh how I love those tomato paintings, this quilt will be amazing, I'm betting. Have fun, learn a lot!

Susan said...

I just know you are having a wonderful time, whether any of those bags are used or not!

calamitykim said...

I am so in love with your stuff! I love your work- your blog- your Flickr- But I just had to say- K is for Kim!! Calamity Kim

Anonymous said...

I love your K block. I have tagged you to tell 7 things about youself. rules on my blog. hope you had a fun retrest

laura west kong said...

Have a great time! Can't wait to see what you do with all those projects.