Sunday, September 7, 2008

Stitching and Pitching

I haven't gotten too much work done on the white tote this week-end, but I do have a few detail shots....

Threading this lace flower helps it stand out a bit.

Pulling a large needle through many layers of fabric-that's a substantial seam allowance under there--is aided by my trusty pliers. The trick is not to pull too hard and bunch up that fabric with tight stitches.

This cotton yarn used in a backstitch will define that curve nicely. I always like to use the element of "line" with my embellishments to help get things moving "around the block".

The reason I haven't gotten much stitching done this week-end is that Robert and I took a quick trip down to Los Angeles to take in a Dodger game with R's dad.
I married into baseball and really do enjoy it....and the game turned out to be really fun!

The game was all about our new hero, Manny Ramirez, whose hitting has shot the Dodgers to the top of their division. Here he is rounding the bases after a three-run homer.

The crowd was on its feet and yelling every time he came up to the plate. It was great!

I love the little communities that form in the stands for the duration of a game...watching and hearing the funny things the fans do...enjoying the game being played really well (after my history of sitting through countless torturous Little League games).... but best of all was seeing these two guys having a fine afternoon together....

Go Dodgers!!!!

6 comments :

Susan Elliott said...

OK, Roger's Dad is just way cute! I love going to a baseball game with a guy like him -- they know what's going on, they know the stats...I just hang out in little groups and make lots of friends like you're talking about. I'm glad to see that Manny is receiving such a warm welcome on the West coast. Hope the peanuts and hot dogs were good!

Vicki W said...

What a fun game day! Love the details on your tote. Everything you do is so well though out.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

You are a brave and tolerant woman. LOL I almost married into golf, but just didn't have the fortitude. He is still playing golf 50 years later and never married. Oh well. I did marry quarter racing - but could take my knitting to Ruidoso.

Anonymous said...

I do love to go out to the old ball game. My sisters live in Phoenix and it's the D-Backs that the Dodgers are battling it out with for first place...so we're having fun with that!! Beats car racing. My DSD married a NASCAR nut. Meh.

Barbara C said...

Good for you for having a fun weekend get-away. The details on your purse are really beautiful. I can't wait to see the whole thing.

Jane said...

Is that one of those 12 in 1 tool thingies that you use for your pulling??? Much reward needed after a few hours spent with that LOL
Thank goodness baseball has came back.. I remember the problems a couple years back with the strikes and the effect on the fans attitudes. Glad you had fun, and the old guys ? Too cute!