Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Vintage CQ...Beginning the Block Embroidery

With all the traveling I've been doing I am so glad I've had these portable blocks to work on while flying and spending time on the road.

These are early days...the blocks still look and feel pretty "naked". I have just been "working the stack", as Martha Green would say, pulling out a block, adding a seam treatment, then pulling out the next block, etc.
Now that I am home, though, I can put them all up on the design wall to monitor how the seam treatments are working graphically and as a whole.

I did decide to go more traditional with them...no beads, nothing too flashy. I want the central flowers to remain the stars of this particular show.

As always, "click to embiggen", as Marty would say.
Notice that very fine black line pinned into place between the blocks and the central section? My friends at Point Bonita insisted that be there, and I believe they were correct. Makes a big difference.


Here's a closer look at the beginnings of my seam treatments.
Of course, on those old crazy quilt fragments I pieced in there, the stitching was already done!

I'm waiting on a special item to arrive before I dive into my "New from Old" entry for the Alliance for American Quilts. That is going to be so much fun to create, and I'll be blogging the entire process...til, then, I'll keep with my blocks here...

13 comments :

Gerry Krueger said...

That was one of my questions...did the project need to be secret until entered and you answered that today... I love blogging as I go along.

Husband leaving town for a week so perfect timing for big mess.... Do some of these quilts have beaded fringes and would that count as part of the 16"?

allie aller said...

Gerry, a whole week to yourself to make as big a mess as you want..how sublime!
I would say the fringe doesn't count toward the 16". (But also, I don't think the "rules" are that strict.) It could affect how the quilt is shown, though? These quilts do go to different venues and are hung vertically, sometimes stacked on the wall, so that is something to think about I guess...

I will really enjoy following your progress!

Conni said...

I do believe the black sets off the center nicely! It is going to be so beautiful (I'm sure I've said that before.)

Looking forward to watching your progress on the "New from Old" quilt.

Anonymous said...

I like the black detailing as well. It defines the center blocks from the border and without it I suspect they would blend together to give more of a "whole quilt" effect. This is going to look great.

Jacqui (in Auckland, New Zealand)

Susan Elliott said...

Fantasmagorically wonderfully florafabulous == Love the black line...bet you add another one to the outside...(the Point Bonita ladies told me to say that, not me...)

Glad you're back in the play room...I missed sending paper airplanes...

Vicki W said...

The narrow black border really does look good!

Barbara C said...

It's great to see the whole composition: it makes quite an impact. I agree with Susan/ the PB ladies, that another black line in the border will frame it nicely.

Unknown said...

Yes, the black line! This is looking great. I loved each flower center as you made it and now the whole thing together is spectacular. Way to go!

Marty52 said...

That black line really sets the center section off... they were right on there! Have fun!

FredaB said...

My vote is yes to the black line. Really separates it well wihout really hitting you like a wider one would. This is going to be another beauty.

Tell Robert he is going to have to tie your leg to the chair to keep you home these days. Of course once the garden starts you will be too busy then to do much travelling. Glad you are having fun.

Hugs

FredaB

Kay said...

I will be one more person in favor of the black line. I'm going to enjoy seeing your posts about the new work in progress.

Jo in NZ said...

I am a "yes" to the black line to Allie. The center needs that definition. I actually feel that the outer blocks are still detracting from the center (is this why your Pt Bonita friends insisted on the line?). I think I am struggling with the geometric-ness of the center vs the randomness of the outer blocks.
Will you add black to the outer blocks?

Jane said...

I was wondering how you'd find time to do the TAST but of course you've found the way!(killing 2 birds with one stone)absolutely a great piece for those new stitches. You never fail to amaze me with all you do